To apply for Early Head Start or Head Start contact Melissa Streun for an appointment to complete an application. Bring a copy of your child's birth certificate, immunizations, well child check up and an income statement to :
The Early Childhood Education Program
32028 Little Boston Road NE,
Kingston, WA 98346
Head Start is a comprehensive program
Health and Nutrition
Head Start knows how important it is for children to be healthy. Being healthy enables children to reach their full potential. Healthy habits are established in the classroom with daily tooth brushing and emphasis on hand washing and health education activities. Family style meals along with skills involved are practiced on a daily basis. Infants are held while being bottle fed according to their own schedules. Formula is provided by the Center.
Head Start regulations require each child to complete a medical and dental screening and receive the necessary follow up care. A hematocrit and current immunizations are also required. Enrollment is not complete until the child's physical is complete. Children will have the opportunity to receive a dental screening in the fall. Parents and Head Start staff work together as a team to get appointments and any necessary follow-up work completed.
Health and nutrition services offered include –
- Wellness, safety and nutrition education
- Vision and Hearing Screening
- Height and weight measurements twice a year
- Nutritious breakfast, lunch and snack
- Child Nutrition Assessment
- Make and Take Meal sessions
Head Start is committed to supporting your family. We will help you identify your goals and support you in reaching them by using your family strengths and community resources. This will reinforce the gains made by your child in Head Start.
Head Start Family Service Workers are available to help you identify resources and information. We want to support your own growth and independence.
Family Services include:
- Help identify concerns, needs and goals your family or child may have
- Information on community resources
- Resource Directory listing services available in the area.
- Emergency Crisis intervention
- Encouragement and support for your own efforts to obtain the quality of services you deserve.
- Development of goals and strategies that you identify for your own personal growth.
- Head Start sponsored parenting classes and informative workshops.
- Advocacy in dealing with other agencies or programs
- Maternal and Child Development Information using the Healthy Families Curriculum.
S'Klallam Culture is enmeshed throughout the Early Childhood Education Program, all classrooms have drums and sing with the Children. We have S'Klallam words phrases used throughout the center. Children all come together every other week in the S'Klallam Longhouse to sing and dance together. All parents are encouraged to join us.
There is an annual Fall Salmon bake prepared traditionally, along with a Spring Clam Dig and Clam Bake.
There are opportunities for families to make their child regalia, rattles, drums and cedar head bands.
The Early Childhood Program also recognizes the importance of all cultures represented. If your child is not S'Klallam and you would like to share your culture, we encourage you to talk with the Family Service Manager to see how we can support the sharing of your culture.
Karron McGrady is our Culture Specialist.
Information and Reports